January 26, 2014

Well, I am making a commitment to post something every week.  This week I have been trying to get a pattern made from the magazine Burda. This, as you may or may not know, contain European patterns that are computer generated. They are very different from American patterns. I saw a wrap coat I wanted to make and found the fabric I had in my head on sale at JoAnn's for 60% off. So, after the purchase I was definitely in to to this!

My first attempt had me struggling to figure out the pattern pieces I needed. I got so frustrated I just had to put it up for another time. I came back one week later and found I could finally "see" the pattern pieces and get them marked. I had taken a class at the ASG Conference held in Houston a few years ago on European patterns. I learned to mark the pieces with a dark marker and then trace. This worked so well. Then, I cut and taped any pieces that needed to be joined. For example, my front coat piece was actually 3 pieces that had to be traced, cut and taped.

The directions are rather loose also and not so easy as they lack detail. If I was a beginner, I am not sure I could figure it out as you need some cloth making experience to fill in the lack of directions.

I have now made my muslin coat and am ready to make changes in the fitting. I will need to cut my pattern a little larger and make the arm hole larger for freer movement. I also want the coat to be a about 3 inches longer.

This week I will make the adjustments and get my coat sewn. As soon as I have it finished, I will post pictures! Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment